Monday, June 15, 2009

I just can't wait to get on the road again!!

Getting ready to head out tomorrow to the heart of the Texas Hill Country. Our friend's family have owned a true working ranch about 100 miles west of San Antonio since the 1950s. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth and I can't wait to go.
The first time that I went to the ranch was in 1978 (gasp!) while at college in San Marcos. Being young and stupid, my future husband, J, our friend, R, whose family's ranch it is, another friend and I decided after a night of partying, around 1:00 a.m. to head out to the ranch. Smart, huh? Anyway, I'll never forget how gracious R's parents were about being woken up by 4 goofy, slightly bleary eyed teenagers at 3:30 a.m. They got up, visited with us a while and then after about 30 minutes, the 4 of us crashed while they sat up fully awake. We awoke to the most wonderful morning smell in the world ~ bacon and coffee. Mrs. L. cooked for us all weekend, we swam in the river, oohed and ahhhed at the gorgeous scenery, and left 2 days later rejuvenated and ready for more partying, um, I mean classes and studying. (In our defense, our university, Southwest Texas State, now known as Texas State, was known as the premier partying school in Texas so we were just trying to keep up the image.)

Over the years, as young marrieds, as young parents with our babies, and now as young(ish)grandparents, we have visited the ranch more times than I can count. We've been so blessed to have this sanctuary as part of our and our children's lives. The moment you round the last curve in the rocky one lane "road", cross the shallow river, and see the lovely sprawling stone home on the rise, you just take a deep breath and say "aahhhhhh".

Sadly, Mrs. L. passed away about 4 years ago and Mr. L. retired to Oregon where his two sons live. With Mrs. L. gone, there are no longer flowers growing in the front courtyard or out on the large deck, and many of her beautiful things have been moved by the family to Oregon. That part is very sad to me; she was the epitome of a gracious hostess. That being said, you still feel her presence so much the minute you walk into the ranch house and I know that she would be SO pleased that her legacy of nurturing guests and providing indelible memories lives on!

The ranch is way off the beaten path, no internet service, no cell phone service (aaauuuugggghhhhhh!) so I'll be "unplugged" for a while. I am, however, looking forward to posting pictures and sharing new memories when we do return! Oh, by the way, I love summer :D

1 comment:

  1. I expect you're already there by now, but have a great time. It sounds fab. And to a brit it all sounds like a film set! I'd love to see some pics.

    ReplyDelete