Sunday, July 19, 2009

deja vu toys

This is a basket of board books that I saved from M's toddlerhood. I always loved the way that my mother-in-law had kept some of my husband's toys for her grandkids to play with. I could tell it was really special for J to see his kids playing with the same toys he and his siblings had played with all those years ago and I decided that I would do the same thing. I've got a pretty big age gap between kids (23, 20 & 14). These books are in good condition because they were new to M, my 14 yr. old.; the ones that B and C had were definitely too worn to save!





These toys are 24 years old and my grandaughter S (babykins) loves playing with them. The little yellow kangaroo toy was given to me at my 1st baby shower. It was my first baby "toy" and it really brought home the fact to me that a baby would soon be living in our house. I would sit and nudge it, listening to the musical chimes inside it over and over. Lifting the lid off of the box they had been stored in was like going back in time. The first thing I did was pick up little kangaroo and listen to those sweet little chimes and when babykins dances to the green radio's tune "Toyland", it's deja-vu, all over again!

2 comments:

  1. I love it when toys get passed down! I had some books that were my dads when he was a child that my grandma saved for me. I also have a huge bin full of toys that I've saved for when my hubby and I finally have our babies. :) I think that's so special, and am glad to see that others do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's lovley. I have a few book that Jamie now has. It is a great connection.

    ReplyDelete