Wednesday, July 15, 2009

what I like about Houston

My last blog really trashed Houston and, actually I love Houston; I mean I was born and raised here. So, in the spirit of making amends, are some of my Houston likes:

Cicadas ~ lovely, quintessential summer sound

Miller Outdoor Theatre ~ even tho I haven't been since I was a kid, what a cool place to see free outdoor plays during the summer

The beautiful cerulean blue sky

Downtown ~ many, many moons ago I worked in the Chase Tower; was called the Texas Commerce Tower when I was there and I'll never forget working on the 60th-something floor

The Spaghetti Warehouse ~ my first ever alcoholic buzz was experienced here! Not too long ago, J and I took the girls there for dinner, so it's been in my life a loooong time

West I-10 and the new Katy tollway ~ I heart this newly re-engineered road

The huge U.S. and Texas flags along same freeway ~ as I drive toward home on this road, I'm heading due west. I love watching these majestic flags wave from the south during most of the months but during cold spells, they fly so beautifully in the other direction, straight out of the north. There are at least 20 of these beauties, it's really quite cool.

Our mild winters

The Galleria, The Container Store, Anthropologie, Memorial City Mall, etc., etc.

Driving on the 610 loop through the Galleria area at dusk

It's nickname, H-town

How close we are to Galveston ~ what a cool, pirate-y kind of beach town ~ mega memories, the most recent being just two weeks ago when all of us made a trek down for the day!

O.K., that's about it for now. No roaches tonight, so I am feeling very magnanimous (sp?) towards my birthplace. Anyone else out there have Houston "likes"?

3 comments:

  1. You should work for the tourist board, I'm sold. Really must get across the pond one day. Have friends in Seattle. One day maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the great, diverse and unique food choices. And all the great mom & pop restaurants that have been around forever...

    Also, the history... it's everywhere if you look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire ~ If you ever do get over here, go ahead and skip Houston and go to Seattle! I mean, Houston's great and all but jeez, you live in Cornwall! What I wouldn't give to be able to visit the UK!

    Rachael ~ I completely agree, the food choices are awesome. I hadn't been to Chuy's in a while so when my sister was in from Georgia, we took the kids and went and, OMG, still incredible :)

    ReplyDelete